By Adhyayan Academy, Siliguri
- 1st December is celebrated as World AIDS Day. The theme of this year’s World AIDS Day is “Let communities lead” and it was first celebrated on December 1,1998.
- 2nd December is celebrated as World Pollution Control Day in the memory of the victims of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy, 1984. The toxic gas of the plant of the Union Carbide corporation that took the lives of so many people in the tragedy is methyl isocyanate.
- Also, 2nd December is celebrated as the ‘International Day for the Abolition of Slavery’. Theme: – Fighting slavery’s legacy of racism through transformative education.
- 2nd December- World Computer Literacy Day. It was started by National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT) on 2001.
- BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) has extended the coaching tenure of the Men’s National Team head coach Rahul Dravid along with the support staff – Batting Coach Vikram Rathour, Bowling Coach Paras Mhambrey and Fielding Coach T. Dilip FOR at least till the T20 World Cup 2024.
- V R Lalithambika, the former director of ISRO’s Human Space Flight Programme has been honoured with the highest French civilian award ‘Legion d’Honneur’. This award was established by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802.
- Henry Kissinger, the former Secretary of State for the US and Nobel Peace Prize winner has passed away aged 100. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973. His memorable contributions are his role in the Paris Accords and opening up the Relations with China.
- Abdullahi Mire, A Somali refugee has been awarded the 2023 UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award for his stellar contribution in spreading education among the refugee children. UNHCR (United Nation High Commissioner for Refugee) will felicitate Abdullahi Mire in its head quarter in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Indian Vice President Jagdeep Dhankar will inaugurate the 5th Global Ayurveda Festival in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. Theme: Emerging Challenges in Healthcare and a Resurgent Ayurveda.
- Air Force officer Manisha Padhi was appointed as India’s first woman Aide de Camp by the Mizoram Governor Hari Babu K. Aide De Camp (ADC) are the officials appointed to work as a personal assistant of the premier posts of our Nation like Army Commanders, Governors and the President.
- The Assam Government has created nine Guiness World Records during the celebrations of its ‘Amrit Brikshya Andolan’. This was one of the largest celebrated ecological programme in the World. The categories include most tree planted by a single team (22 km.) and most saplings planted in a single day etc.
- Safeena Hussain, founder of ‘Educate Girls’ has been awarded the prestigious WISE Prize for Education at the WISE (World Innovation Summit for Education) 11 Summit for the outstanding contribution to education.
- HDFC Life’s ‘Insure India’ campaign sets Guiness World Record for creating the Largest online selfie mosaic made from 19,097 photos clicked by individuals.
- The Narendra Modi Government has planned 7 new bills ahead of the upcoming Winter Session of the Parliament. The Winter session shall be continued from December 4 to 22nd December. Among the proposed legislations, the bills for setting up a central university in Telangana and Securing 33% quota for women in the J&K are most prominent.
- The Fast Track Special courts to address the violence and offences regarding the sexual acts against women and under POCSO (Protection of Children against Sexual Offences) Act, 2012 are to be extended for another three years. These Courts were set up after the 2018 Nirbhaya Case for providing speedy justice to such heinous crimes.
- Ministry of Jalshakti has organised the ‘Jal Itihas Utsav’ in New Delhi to enhance public awareness for the protection of the Water Heritage sites of the country.
- The Union government has extended the Prime Minister Garib Kalyan Ann Yojayana(OPMGKAY) for another five years. Under this scheme the 81 crore poor of the country are provided with 5 kgs of free monthly food grains. This scheme was launched during the Covid 19.
- Three all new indigenously built Anti Submarine Warfare ships – INS Mahe , INS Malva and INS Mangrol — were launched by the Indian Navy from the Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- The union Government has launched the PM-JANMAN (Pradadhan Mantri Janjati Adivasi Nyaya Maha Abhiyan) to address and uplift the 75 particularly vulnerable tribal groups of the country with a financial outlay of around Rs. 24000 cr. This scheme promises to set up new infrastructures in these areas.
- Blod.in launches Blod+ India’s first on-demand blood logistics platform to reduce blood wastage by streamlining supply chains.
- The Union Cabinet approved the terms of reference for the 16th finance commission . Its recommendations shall be operational from 2026 to 2031. Article 280 (I) of the Constitution addresses the Finance Commission.
- Nepal becomes the first South Asian country to legalise Same sex marriage. Till now Taiwan was the only Asian country to do so.
- Saudi Arabia has won the bid for organising the World Fair of 2030. This is going to be the biggest global event hosted in the Middle East region after the Qatar Football World Cup.
- Bengaluru is going to have the largest circular railway network of the country of 287 km. This railways aims to curb the huge traffic that rams the city.
- Iran has developed the second edition of its hypersonic ballistic missile the Fattah 2. In farsi, ‘Fattah’ means ‘to conquer’.
- In the UNGA, India has voted in favour of Syria on the resolution moved by Egypt demanding Israel’s evacuation of its illegal occupation of the Golan Heights. Golan Heights is an elevated land on the boder of North eastern Israel and South Syria above the Sea of Galilee.
- Hockey Punjab has won the 13th National Champoinship after defeating Hockey Haryana at the Mayor Radhakrishnan Hockey Stadium in Chennai.
Admission is now going on for Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Integrated WBCS 2024-25 BATCH. Course fee Rs 3499/- only. It will cover Prelims, Mains and Interview in the changed pattern.
For admission click on the link